Thursday 28 January 2010

My Cheap and Cheerful Ultra Light Setup

Ultra Light Lure fishing is a lot of fun but can get expensive, my set-up is nicely balanced, reasonably cheap and most importantly extremely fun to use!

Shimano Catana 1000 FA (Front Drag) Reel, with spare spool! retails around £25.



Shimano Alivio 5ft-6in Ultra Light Rod Rated for Lures 1-11g, Retails around £25.



150 yards of 10lb Power Pro Braid (I use Green) Retails for about £10



I also use 6lb Mono line as backing and make my own traces with 12-15lb wire with small snaps and swivels to connect it all to my line.

Overall Setup cost of about £60, which is pretty reasonable. Ive had this setup for about 6 Months now and have had Pike to 9 lbs on it, which it coped with fine. As long as the drags set correctly then it can cope OK with the odd bigger fish!

2 comments:

  1. I have 3 one-piece Fladen UL rods that I purchased after Fladen discontinued the manufacture of them, they are perfect for canals at just 4ft 6in in length and only cost me something like £10 or £12 each. Because they are one-piece they are like an extention of your arm and allow you to cast accurately in the tightest of spots. Personally I believe that it is more important to spend a little more on the reel than you do on the rod, because the reel is worked hard during lure fishing, so I have paired the 3 Fladen rods up with 3 small 1000FD fixed spool reels that cost me around £40 each. I also use the Power Pro braid and my lures of choice are 1" and 2" Relax Kopyto soft plastics which are perfect for canal use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIND FISHES UNDER WATER THROUGH SOUND WAVES
    it's a shop for fishing tackle

    ReplyDelete