Thursday 28 January 2010

Pike and Perch on the Grand Union Canal (First Post!)

Thought I'd Christen the new blog with a catch report! Went to the GUC today in Milton Keynes armed with my Ultra light setup, hoping to tempt some large Perch I've spotted recently. The Canal had just thawed after some horribly cold weather and looked good. Visibility was good, being able to see the bottom on most swims.

Got to the car park to realise I'd left my digital scales at home Doh!

1st fish a large Perch definitely over 2 1/2lb and a new pb, on this stretch, pity I couldn't weigh it or take a decent photo coz I was on my own. Caught on a 2 1/2" Pearl Kopyto



Had a few follows, one was from a low double figured Pike on a 2" shad, kinda glad i didn't take the lure as I was only using 10lb Powerpro and would of struggled landing it.

Next on the hit list was a 7-8lb Pike, which took a 2 1/2" Kopyto shad in yellow, took it right next to the bank when my mind was elsewhere, gave me quite a fright and a hell of a fight, quick photo and went back with Vengeance giving me a nice canal shower!



Had a couple more bites but failed to connect, lots of follows though, which is a good sign on another day could of had 6 or 7, only fished for a couple of hours but just good to be out again after the PANTS weather, hopefully give the ouse a go next time when the water clarity improves.

Kopyto Shad does it again, the pic was taken after retrieving the lure from an underwater snag (Nice bent hook!), probably a bike or shopping trolley!



Tools of the Trade, I also bought a backup, heavier Ugly stick lite with 20lb Powerpro just in case the bigger girls were on the feed. Small bag for lures, tools, bits n bobs and camera, also unhooking mat, which is very important on this stretch of the canal as there's not much grass about and a large landing net.



The GUC in all its glory, this stretch had quite a few nice features, weed beds, overhanging tress, sunken logs and Barges all likely looking spots.



Hopefully next post will see a bit more action, thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think your website all in some where in thai land.you are very good at fishing but not where i feed my fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Thanks Hatton. Fishing in Thailand is very different but I think I did OK at your house. 5 catfish if I recall :) not that bad actually! Hope your OK and thanks for letting me fish in your pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips. Just started lure fishing on the GUC around Leamington Spa. Caught my first Zander last weekend and have the bug now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello mate looking for a stretch of canal with pike ive tried all along leighton buzzard and never even spotted one , dont suppose you can recommend anywhere within MK area?

    ReplyDelete