Sunday 10 July 2011

The Barbel King

After returning from a trip to the Scottish Highlands and failing miserably with the fly fishing I was straight back on the Ouse in search of more Barbel.

The swim I previously caught my barbel in was devoid of life so I opted for a swim 50 or so yards downstream. I've had a few chub out of this swim in the past and would be happy for a couple more today as it seemed unlikely I'd be able to snag any Barbel today. As Spack seemed to land Chub after Chub in the swim next door my rod finally flew round and the Wolf was in. It felt like a Barbel straight off but didn't want to get overly excited as the swim was teeming with Chub and Ive never even seen a barbel in this swim before.

A couple of minutes later I caught sight of the fish and low and behold it was a Barbel. Not the biggest at 6lb 10oz but still very, very welcome.





Spack had 7 Chub in all with the biggest weighing just under 6lb and had to settle for 5lb 12oz.



I only managed to add 1 more Chub, but a very nice fish, which weighed in at exactly 5lb.

2 comments: